Saturday, January 14, 2017

Maui Garbage Trucks Take Over the House!

Day 2

I woke to the crashing and screeching of 17 garbage trucks in the bedroom, right by my head. Well, not quite but the noise was deafening at 6 AM in the dark, like some apocalyptic machine devouring everything in its path. Once the garbage truck moved on, I lay there in the dark, trying to get back to sleep. Then another horrifically noisy truck came and went. I was fully awake at 6:15 but that's okay. I didn't want to miss a minute of being on Maui!
I made a pot of coffee and watched the sun rise behind the West Maui Airport out the house's back windows. Two cups of coffee later, Eliza and I got our lily-white butts out the door to go rent dive gear. Kapalua Bay was our plan and by the time I parked the car 10 minutes away and we got to the water with full scuba gear on, we were sweating like Maui boars, eager to hit that crystal-clear water.
Visibility was probably thirty feet which was ok by me, fish were everywhere, the coral was thriving once we got into deeper water and we saw lots of fun stuff including a Hawaiian sea turtle the size of a small dog bed, resting under a ledge. Seeing us, she launched herself into the water and slowly ambled away into the blue water over the sandy field beyond the rocks. One crown of thorns starfish later, we crossed the bay at fifteen feet and headed in on the left side instead of doing that long snorkel. We had loads of air left because the dive was mostly 25-30 feet deep. I thought of Tina's dreams where she sees her dead husband's apparition underwater, his head bashed in on one side, while I was diving and wondered how that would feel during a dive. Her fear would have been enough to send her screaming to the surface, which is what she does in The Dream Jumper's Promise.
After the dive we ate lunch with Lynn out on the deck, talked politics and health and real estate and then headed off in the car, leaving Lynn and Spencer, the dog back at the house. Eliza went to Kaanapali Beach to get her lean on in the sunshine while I visited Barnes & Noble to say hello and scope out the store. I bought my next book club book BRAIN ON FIRE.
Back at Lynn's she'd gone to work and we rested our eyes for an hour while the bird next door squawked like a dying child but losing consciousness was not happening. I took Spence for his sunset walk at the Hawaiian Burial Grounds and then after primping a bit and putting on our Love and Mangoes jewelry, Eliza and I took off for a seaside dinner of fish and salad at Maala Tavern. Wonderful and lovely and met some interesting people who sat next to us. The food was marginal and the waiter forgot to put dressing on the salad, forgot my glass of wine and after checking to see we weren't wearing invisibility cloaks, concluded that it was a busy night for him. The ambiance was top-notch.
Bed at 11 after talking with Lynn when she arrived home from her cocktailing job. I'm reading Toby Neal's SCORCHED and loving it!!! Great read for Maui.
Today is my book signing deal at B &N and I'm wondering how it will all go down. Not the usual speaking engagement it seems but more of a meet & greet.

Kim Hornsby is the Author of Award-Winning The Dream Jumper's Promise available on Amazon Books. She is a Bestselling Supernatural Suspense Author who lives in the Seattle area where she writes during the rainy months.

No comments:

Post a Comment