Saturday, August 5, 2023

Rafting, Rafting, Rafting on the River

 Day 9 in the Provo River Canyon!

Things are busy on set and with no internet in these remote parks, my job at the "desk" has had some challenges. Today, I learned about a thing called a Hot Spot and realized that my phone has such a thing. I hope it isn't $100 a minute because I'm using it today for hours, changing permits, extending Air B&B reservations and managing a few things on the paperwork side of making a movie. 


Yesterday and today, we've been out on the Provo River in rafts, shooting from a production raft that follows the actor rafts. It's been sunny and gorgeous. I got to go down the river yesterday in the production raft with the puppy and her owner, Tawnii, the sound guy, camera man, second camera, the grip guy, sound guy, and the director. Oh, and the river guide Preston. Along with his brother, Taylor, they've been managing our raft rentals and our guiding necessities and have allowed us to get on the river to film footage of the 2 rafts actually navigating the river! We hadn't imagined doing this a month ago but it's worked out great with our guides helping enormously, finding pockets in the river where we don't have fly fishermen in the background or other rafters hooting and hollering as they drift by us. Some people see the camera and photo bomb as they drift past, making faces and shouting, "What're you filming?" Our sound guy always says "A mayonnaise commercial". 

The river is about 50 degrees and is the next thing to melted ice so I'm not pining to get out there and swim like I thought I would be when we got to the actual river.

Also, yesterday, the puppy, Seyka, got wet and did her scenes where they pull her into the raft from the water. She wasn't swimming (she's never tried it) but our actress held her and dunked her bottom half at the side of the tethered raft then lifted her into the raft. Seyka was a rock star/movie star, sitting quietly on Amy's lap for all the takes and scenes. 


When her Mommy/handler had to keep wetting her down, she took it like a champ and even shivered a bit on camera. Then when they called CUT, she went and played at the river's edge like the puppy she is. It's safe to say EVERYONE in the cast and crew is in love with this puppy! 


It's amazing to me how a film is shot and how the cast and crew do so many takes of the same scene. Over and over and over from different angles, with the camera on Jake, then Chance, then Marka, then the puppy, then Grace etc. I tried to be nice and quiet and take videos on my phone which I'm unable to upload to this blog. Grrrrr. 😒


Today, they are back at it and I'm land locked in the "office" which is a table in the RV we rented. We have A/C, lots of snacks, a pot of coffee on and I have a hot spot because I learned how to do that!

I'm off now to pick up lunch in town which is 20 minutes away, along a beautiful winding highway similar to the road from Sammamish to North Bend in scenery. I do this run every day for food, to get to set and back again and one day I went back to the Air B&B to the internet to send some documents to Erich because I didn't have internet and he needed some excel spread sheets. 

We are now such a cohesive unit, having fun, but focusing on making the best movie we can. From the makeup person to assistants to the little actors' moms, to the producers and actors, we are a nice group of considerate people and apparently that isn't always the norm on a film set but Erich insists on kindness. He's set a nice tone with everyone and I hope to never be on a film set where people yell at each other. 

Off to town for pulled pork, smoked chicken, and picnic salads.

Peace Out

Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment